The overarching aim of these terms and conditions is to ensure Media students and staff have fair access to the Media Loans collection.
When equipment is loaned to use on or off campus that equipment becomes the responsibility of the borrower.
By using this service you agree to the following:
- All equipment for loan must be booked in advance on the Media Loans booking system.
- Reserved equipment must be collected by the person in whose name the booking was made. We are unable to issue equipment without a valid university card.
- Equipment can only be borrowed or returned during the advertised opening hours.
- Some items have restricted availability (i) reserved for named courses or cohorts - this equipment will only appear on the booking system to qualifying individuals, or (ii) requires completion of an induction in advance of any loan.
- Please be aware that if you do not collect your items within 2 hours of the booking start time, the booking will be automatically cancelled and the items made available to other customers.
- As is professional practice, you will check all equipment you borrow at the point of issue at the Media Store and report any problems to the store technicians immediately as failure to do so may result in my being held responsible for any damage noted on its return.
- You understand that by loaning this equipment you take full responsibility for the equipment and ensure it will be used in a safe and a sensible manner while it is booked out in your name.
- Should you be unsure of how any of the equipment you loan is used/operated then you will seek advice and help at an appropriate time before or on collection of equipment.
- You agree to return the equipment to the Media Store in Creative Edge on time and with the equipment in the same working condition with all accessories included. Failure to do so may result in you being suspended from borrowing media equipment and covering the costs of any damages and or loss of equipment (see Penalties section).
- An item is considered late if returned 30 minutes past the agreed time.
- If an item is more than 7 calendar days overdue, we will bring this to the attention of your course leader or line manager.
- We will consider any overdue item that is not returned after sending a final overdue reminder as lost and you will be invoiced by Learning Services for the full cost of the item plus an administration charge.
- You understand that leaving the equipment in or around the Media Store is not considered as being returned and that you are required to check the condition of the equipment with the technician and make sure he/she has signed it back in.
Failure to pick up reserved items or late returns has a negative impact on the ability of others to borrow equipment, and disrupts their work. For this reason, we operate the following suspension policy:
- Failure to pick up reserved items: If you have reserved items but failed to pick up on 2 occasions this will result in a loss of privilege to use the Media Loans service for the remainder of that term/semester.
- Late returns: If you breach the conditions of borrowing on 2 occasions this will result in a loss of privilege to use the Media Loans service for the remainder of that term/semester.
Loss and damage to equipment
- You understand that there is no charge for the loan of equipment. However, in the event that the equipment is lost or damaged through unprofessional behaviour or through exposure to corrosive elements such as salt water or sand, you may have to pay for the cost of replacement or for the equipment to be repaired.
- You agree to take adequate and proper measures to protect the equipment from theft, damage and other risks.
- If an item you borrow is stolen, you will report this to the local police who will issue you with a crime reference number. You will inform us of the theft and the crime reference number as soon as possible. This will make sure you are not held responsible for not returning an item.
- You understand that it is your responsibility to ensure the safety of yourself and the equipment you are working with, and you are not putting yourself, other persons or the equipment at risk.
- Lost equipment will be charged at the full amount of replacement. Your Account will be suspended until it is fully paid.
- Equipment with a repair or replacement cost under £50 will be charged at the current price to resolve.
- Equipment with a repair or replacement cost over £50 will be charged at £50 and your account will be suspended until repayment is made. You will also be required to have a meeting to discuss the damage with the Head of the Media Department.
- Borrowers who damage equipment over £50 for a second time will be charged from £50 to 10% of the total cost. You will also be required to have a meeting to discuss the damage with the Head of the Media Department.
- In all cases where your account is suspended, a limited basic equipment allocation will be provided whilst your account is suspended. This cannot be self-booked and will require you to physically visit the media store who can arrange for your items to be reserved. This needs to be done a minimum of 24 hours before the pickup date and time.